Although we don’t experience blizzards and extreme temperatures here in San Francisco, humans and pets alike are still looking forward to the first spring flowers and warm breezes. Spring activities for pets and their owners abound in the Bay Area, and we encourage you to get out there and explore as the weather warms!
Down by the Seaside
We are so fortunate to live near the beautiful Pacific Ocean, and spring is a great time to remind ourselves of that! Grab the leash and head out to one of these gorgeous locales:
- The return of migratory birds and the nesting behaviors of all bird species is one of the most delightful parts of spring for animal lovers. The Bird Walk Coastal Access Trail at Bodega Bay is the perfect place to hone your bird identification skills while enjoying outdoor exercise with your pet.
- Enjoy everything the coastline has to offer at one of the many pet-friendly hotels and resorts, such as Bodega Coast Inn & Suites, Sea Ranch Lodge, or Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa. There are also plenty of pet-friendly vacation homes available for rent for a more low-key experience.
Hiking and Biking
There’s no denying the beauty of springtime in San Francisco and the surrounding area. Wildflowers and amazing views abound on pet-friendly trails, such as Land’s End and Strawberry Hill, and certain parts of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area fit the bill.
Besides being one of the most pet-friendly cities in America, San Francisco is also one of the most bike-friendly. Why not combine the two, safely of course, by exploring the city on two wheels (and four paws)? Specialty leashes like this one make biking with your dog safe and easy. Please make sure your dog is healthy enough for any strenuous physical activity, pack plenty of water for both of you, and stop for breaks often.
Other Spring Activities for Pets
- Wine tasting—It wouldn’t be a proper Northern California spring without a wine tasting! Bring your dog along to enjoy pet-friendly wineries such as Mutt Lynch, Topel, and Kunde Family Winery.
- Shopping—What could be more fun than a little city shopping spree with your pet? The Bay Area boasts several pet-friendly shopping areas including Union Square, Broadway Plaza, and Strawberry Village.
- Off-leash fun—The start of spring wouldn’t be complete without a trip to Pine Lake Dog Park in Stern Grove, Ocean Beach Dog Park, or one of the other awesome off-leash parks San Francisco has to offer.
Before You Go
As with any endeavor involving our four-legged friends, it’s important to keep safety and good manners in mind when planning spring activities for pets.
- Make sure your pet is up-to-date on his or her vaccinations and parasite preventives before you head to any public area.
- Always follow the rules and regulations regarding pets in any given area.
- Don’t forget to bring (and use) those important baggies for poop pickup!
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact the team at AIMSS. Happy spring!