Summer In The City: Pet Friendly Activities In San Francisco
According to Animal Planet, San Francisco is the most pet-friendly city in the U.S.A. With more dogs than human residents under age 18, this is not a surprising designation. From dog parks to beaches, and hundreds of pet-friendly establishments, our amazing city has nearly endless opportunities for pets and their owners to get out and have some fun this summer.
Check out our list of the pet-friendly activities we think every San Francisco resident should know about:
Take A Walk In The Park
Take in the gorgeous California sunshine (or fog, depending on the day) at one of the many off-leash dog parks and beaches in our fair city. Here are some of our favorites:
- Enjoy off-leash fun on Skyline Boulevard at the Fort Funston dog park and beach area.
- On and off-leash walking and hiking at the beautiful Bernal Hill Dog Park.
- Frolick in the grassy expanse of family-friendly Duboce Park, located in the Lower Haight.
- Check out the spectacular views of the city at Alta Plaza dog park, located high on a hill.
- Glen Canyon isn’t off-leash, but it’s so picturesque that we had to include it. Dogs and people will love exploring the trails in this urban canyon setting
- Baker Beach – Sunnier than most bay area beaches, with a nice off-leash area north of Lobos Creek.
Other San Francisco Pet Friendly Activities
Outdoor dining with your pet is a must for a proper summer experience in San Francisco. We love all the pet-friendly restaurants in town, such as:
Are you considering taking a “staycation” this year? If the thought of being cooped up in your home sounds unappealing, but you don’t want to travel far, consider spending time in one of the hundreds of pet-friendly hotels in the bay area.
Although San Francisco proper is a perfectly delightful place to while away the dog days of summer, there are plenty of opportunities for pet-friendly fun beyond our city borders. If you’re planning a day trip with your pet in the near future, allow us to offer the following suggestions:
- If you’ve ever wanted to take your dog on a raft or canoe trip (and who hasn’t?) now is your chance. Check out Russian River Adventures’ pet-friendly rafting trips.
- Carmel Beach City Park is popular for a reason, it’s beautiful, the weather is usually nice, and places are open all night. Their off-leash dog beach is enjoyable for people and dogs alike.
- If you’re headed to wine country, make sure to pay Mutt Lynch winery a visit. Besides being a dog-friendly establishment, a portion of every purchase is donated to local animal rescue organizations.
An Itty-Bitty Reminder
Although it’s hard to imagine, not everyone loves pets. By obeying leash laws, cleaning up after our pets, and observing the other facets of responsible pet ownership, you will be helping to ensure that San Francisco remains one of the best places to raise a pet.