The rains have returned and with the rains mushrooms are sprouting again. The Animal Internal Medicine and Specialty Services team wanted to alert you to a serious potential toxicity for your pet, poisonous mushrooms.
The Bay Area is fertile ground for the Amanita phalloides “Death Cap” and Amanita ocreata “Western Destroying Angel” mushrooms. Once eaten, even a single mushroom, pets can become critically ill developing liver failure, renal failure, and even death. Here are some tips and information on how to handle the mushroom season in SF Bay Area:
- Prior to letting your pets out, always survey your yard for any new caps and remove them. Wash your hands after removing them. Be mindful: mushrooms do pop up overnight.
- Work with your pet on rapid re-calls, and teach them “Drop it.”
- Keep your pet on leash and monitor your path for mushrooms while out on walks.